Saturday, May 15, 2010

Week in Review

Most of my children are doing well for the first week. I am enjoying teaching.

Two boys don't know their ABC's and can only write their names partially.

Another boy went from only being able to write his first letter to being able to write his full name! Another member of my after school "coloring class." When its time to go home, we put all the students into one room. When their parents show up they get to leave. Until that time, we spend our time coloring. This week I have had mostly the same children with me. We spend the time coloring, practicing names, and numbers.

One girl still refuses to talk, but I know she is taking in the knowledge. I sat with her all week at "coloring class" and practiced writing her name. Today, she wrote her name on the worksheet all by herself! She ran up and showed me. SCORE!!! But she didn't do the rest of the worksheet. Small steps...

Another proud moment... One of my other students who refused to talk ace'd her assessment today. Spending all that extra time after school at "coloring class" paid off! I was so happy when I asked her questions and she actually talked!!! She's easily one of my favorites. She loves to cling to me. She doesn't really talk or play with the other children. She's quiet.

The rest of the students are doing well. They know their greetings, ABC's, numbers (1-3), light/dark, big/small, tall/short comparisons.

Two girls don't speak Thai. They are easily top of their class since English is their first language. When it's time to do things, they look just as confused as me when the Thai teacher is talking :) They always ask me what we are doing. My reply, "I don't know." Haha...

I got one new student today. I really hope the class doesn't get much bigger!!! I have 14 kids right now. The more kids I have the less time I can spend individually with them. I only teach around 3 hours a day even though I am with them all day.

I need to play games with my students more. I am pretty strict and am work oriented by nature. I have to remember they are only 3 and 4 years old!!!! Most speak at least 3 languages too.

I do love my class though. The other K2 classes are very rambunctious and can't sit still. When we meet up with the other classes at the end of the day to go home... Mine sit nicely in the corner with me for "coloring class." I think they look forward to this time because in class its all work and no play. They know at the end of the day I will sit with them, color, and give them more individual attention.

The other teacher who is from England looks on in astonishment as his children run around the room. He tries really hard to control them, they just wont listen. He sat down next to me and asked, "How do you do it." I think my kids really just want to learn?!? I dunno... I don't question it. I'm just thankful. I have my Thai teacher to thank for their behavior too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment