Saturday, August 28, 2010

Couch Surfers

So, I signed up for this a long time ago. I decided to hop back on it and see what was available in Thailand. I looked up people in my area and came up with a couple hits. I emailed them and we are going to meet up for coffee. One is a manager of a fruit processing plant. He's 25 and from Nor-Cal! The other one is a young doctor and is actually Thai with amazing English skills. He's from Bangkok too. When is it ever bad to know a doctor?!?

My attempt at making friends outside of school haha... Why not?!?

I actually have been messaging people for when Brian and I start backpacking. It really is a good cause/idea. Not only do you have a place to sleep for free, but you get to meet amazing people who can share a wealth of knowledge with you.

Anyway, I met up with the manager of the fruit processing plant last night with this girlfriend. She is also from Nor-Cal. She works for Jelly Belly or rather is Jelly Belly. Yeah... they have a factory here... who would have known!!! Super cool people. So happy we met them... now we can use the rest of our time to hang out!!!!

I won't lie, it's like Aladdin hanging out with Princess Jasmine...  if you catch my drift, but they are so down to earth and nice. But it doesn't make you feel any less of a street-rat...haha... sorry... loving my Disney analogies.

It's pretty hard to met people in Pattaya. Most of the farangs are just tourist or visitors. They aren't staying for an extended amount of time. Alot of times the people who live here are way older too. Finding farang people that are young and work here... and are NOT teachers... is rare. Even finding farang teachers that are young and work here is rare.

It's just coincidental that they happen to be from California. I must admit hanging out with Americans is so carefree and easy. We just get each other. It's like kicking it back home with your friends.

Anyway, today I got another message from a guy from California who was coming this way next week. So funny. We should just hold a Cali convention.

I got another message from a Hawaiian/Thai/Japanese girl who lives in France and is coming out this way to visit her family who lives in Chonburi. Super cool chic and all about being Hawaiian. Shes a professional make-up artist too. Can't wait to meet up!!!

Right now I'm loving CS! Myspace is trashy. Facebook is vain. Couch surfers is where you can actually meet NEW people and have meaningful conversations and hopefully meet. Plus it's all about traveling which has been my life for the past 3 years. It's such a small community too that it feels like it still has its morals. It hasn't be infiltrated with the bad people who could turn such a marvelous idea into a Internet hazard.

0 comments:

Post a Comment