Friday, August 6, 2010

Muay Thai Night!

When I think fighting match, I think big arena. All I know about fighting is what I've seen on TV. Maybe something comparable to a Las Vegas show. Naive... I know.

Everyone kept saying the Jomtien Arena. Naturally, I thought a big sort of building or stadium type structure.
Sam's Poster (Second from left on bottom)
If you didn't know any better, you would probably keep on driving by. Luckily, Brian has been photographing fights prior to tonight and he knew where to go. I don't know how tourist find the place unless they just take an over priced taxi.

Brian's Photography Corner
Lovin' It
Farang tickets are 1,200 - 1,500B. Brian had his ticket paid for by fighters who hired him for the night. Teacher Emily and I opted to pay the 1,500 VIP rate. We figured this would be our only time going so we might as well splurge! It's probably better that we did because if not we would be the only white specs sitting with all the locals. Which is not bad believe me.... BUT they only pay 100B to get in. At least with the extra 300B you get front row and have access to a VIP toilet (which is not VIP at all mind you... but at least it's something).

Musicians
The real VIP's - Former World Champion in middle... head of Sam's Gym.
We were sat in the first row right behind the musicians. If you are not familiar with Muay Thai, like myself prior to this, it might come as a bit of a shock.

View from my seat
Excited Crowds
Children are allowed to fight. Before each fight they do their own type of Wai Kru ceremony. The fighters pay respect to the art form of Muay Thai by doing a little dance. I think it's wonderful because they get to stretch their muscles and get used to being in the ring. Anyone who has given a speech knows its much better to get acclimated to your audience rather than having to give your speech right away.

The traditional music is played live and during the entire fight. I must admit these factors, minus the kids, made the night very entertaining. The actual fighting does not hold my attention. I rather not look at people being hit.

Some of the fighting -- Not Sam's Match
We kept hearing the announcers call out "Luke of Nottingham." It's the only English words we could understand and it's Sam's fighting name. It's not really Luke though... but some Thai word that sounds like Luke that means son.... so his fighting name is Son of Nottingham. 

Anyway, this made us nervous because we didn't know what order he was fighting. We assumed he would be later in the evening... but nope he was 3rd. I was so nervous for him!!!!! When his opponent got in the ring, I was struck with indignation. He was soooo much bigger than Sam... or so it looked. Not in as good of shape as Sam, but definitely bigger. I think he was from Australia....

The boys sitting behind us were from England as well and cheered on Sam.

I hear that betting is illegal, but I think they either turn a blind eye or its not true. The man taking bets was wearing a Police jacket. I dunno if this was their form or humor or legit. Either way, it was interesting. They only took bets they wanted to and denied you at other times. Not that I was betting, but the English boys behind us were. One of them kept wining. You could tell the Thai's were not amused by this fact. They kept trying to get him to bet at the end to try to win their money back but he didn't fall for it.
Taking the bets! -- It's here that I discovered they do make sour cream and onion chips... Teal Bag!!!!
Hard at work!!!
Sam won his fight. I'm not entirely sure how. I think the Aussie's eye swelled up too big and the referee called off the fight. Either way, it was a victory!!!!

Congrats to Sam... Luke of Nottingham!!!!

Anxiously watching
Too bad he started drinking beer with Brian to celebrate and his training up until now prohibited such action. The beer must have gone straight to his head because we spent the next hour searching for his keys. Then he realized his bike was gone and he thought it was stolen. My first though was where is Meow... his wife. I must have asked him 10 times and it never registered. Wouldn't you know she came rolling up in the bike a little later. She went to 7-11. Erg... boys hahaha.

0 comments:

Post a Comment