Tuesday, June 1, 2010

First Day of Diving School

There are many dive schools in Pattaya. We contacted all of them, but decided on Mermaids. Turns out the owners son is a student at our school! Needless to say we get perks and rules are stretched a bit for us. Regardless of this nice gift from fate, they are very nice people and genuinely love teaching.

Lots of para-sailing!
They do internships at their location. I have never heard of dive internships, but now wish Brian could have done it! Of course, it is a bit pricey. Depending of the level of certification you want to get the price increases; but for a Divemaster internship you are looking at about $6,000 U.S. dollars. This includes your accommodation for 6-8 months, all your PADI fees, your own equipment, all your dives, and more. 

Truthfully, it is a very nice package. However, we do not have 6 grand to drop on Brian's diving career. I mention this fact because alot of the people at the dive shop are interns. They come from all over the world to live in Pattaya and get certified. It's like going to College but for diving. 

I don't know how people afford it honestly, because in addition to "tuition" you have to pay for all your living expenses (minus rent). You can't get a part time job because that would require a work permit. Not to mention finding a part time job is very difficult here and wouldn't pay more than 5,000-8,000 a month. So, I'm guessing a lot of them either are A) Wealthy B) In Debt C) Took out Loans. It just seems so bizarre to think of going to Dive College... but I think that's just because I don't think about diving ;)

Banana's on the boat is A-ok in Thailand. This would never fly in Hawaii. Last time I was on a boat
and someone brought on a banana, the Captain had a conniption! The person at fault had to throw
it over board and wash her hands. It didn't help when the boat hit something on the way back home
and needed repair. The Captain blamed the banana.
Died (pronounced Deed), Brian's instructor, is from Holland and has been living in Pattaya for the past 11 months getting all his certifications. He has beautiful hair. I am obsessed with his hair. It's like a rusty red color but shiny and naturally highlighted. We think he is really young - maybe 20. He makes Brian look like a smurf. He is the second person from that country that I have met over 6'3". They must breed them tall up there!!! He is past Divemaster, but can't tell you how the hierarchy goes beyond becoming a Divemaster. I'm not a diver after all.

Sadly, Died has finished all his certifications and is leaving in a couple weeks. Brian will be able to take his Open Water and Advanced Open Water with him, but not his Search and Rescue. 

So last weekend, Brian spent Saturday in class learning and taking tests. Sunday was spent in the pool learning all the techniques. Now this weekend he will spend both days diving. He will log a total of 5 dives for his Open Water Certification.

Died and Brian jumping in. FIRST DIVE IN THAILAND!!
I got to go on the boat Saturday to witness the first Dive on his goal to Divemaster. It was like a parent taking their child to the first day of school. It's just something you have to do. I think Died got a little tired of all the photographs, but whatever. More than half have him in it anyway, and one day he will thank me.

What the diving boats look like
We met at the dive shop and took a van over to the dock. It's the same dock by Walking Street. The boat definitely looked worn. I honestly was picking my brain, trying to remember how many wooden boats I have ever been on. Seems silly right, but I kept thinking... Are all boats made out of this much wood? God forbid someone drops their cigarette. Ironically, every one of the divers is a chain smoker except Brian and Died. I think its funny considering they rely on their lungs heavily.

Died and Brian getting the gear ready
Look at him using all those signals :)
Regardless of the make, the boat was spacious and had a nice layout. On the first deck was all the diving equipment, bathroom, and kitchen. The second deck was where all the briefings took place and where everyone hangs out. This is also where lunch is served. The third deck is a sun deck.

Main deck for briefing
This makes me laugh... Looks like Died: Brian :)
The boat ride was very slow. Seems like it took us forever to get to the first dive spot. What took us an hour and a half probably should have only taken 30 minutes in a "proper" boat :) 

This boat is not for the weak either. If you have problems with sea sickness God help you. There were times where I felt like we could have easily capsized. I made sure to stick close to the balcony in case I needed to jump. 

It was nice when everyone was diving because I had the boat to myself. I enjoyed many cups of hot Milo. Mmmm Milo.
 
Boat all to myself!
Sun faded
Everyone was perplexed as to why I did not want to snorkel or at least get in the water. I lived in Savannah for 4 years and went into the Atlantic Ocean only once by brute force aka Brian. The Gulf of Thailand looks a bit clearer than the Atlantic, but no where meets my standards. Perhaps growing up in Hawaii has jaded me, but it will likely take another 4 years in Thailand before I jump into the water. 

"Diver Below" sign so you don't get clipped by passing boats
Brian's first series of Dives went well. We ate lunch. It was delicious considering the captain's wife made everything from scratch on the boat. We had about 8 options too! We relocated to another island for the next set of dives. 

Captain's wife cooking lunch in the Kitchen
A happy B diver! Look at all those BANANAS!!!
This time when everyone was in the water I was entertained by a man in his tiny boat house. He decided to park right beside our boat to take a "shower" and do his laundry. Very insightful. To think people live like this... must be nice though. You can have your own private island each day.

Boat house
Only downside to the first day out at sea was the amount of sunburn I received. Grrr... my Hawaiian blood is suppose to conquer the Caucasian inefficiency! I don't think I have peeled since the age of 8 or something.
One of many islands

0 comments:

Post a Comment