Monday, June 28, 2010

Russian Attack!

I remember sitting at my desk counting the days worksheets. 16 - The exact number of students I have in my class. A brief notion crossed my mind. Make more copies, Misty... But then I thought to myself, what are the odds of a new student enrolling 2 months into the term. Ha, Silly me...

Sometimes I feel like my brain is trying to warn me. Instead of listening, I brush it off as a ridiculous thought or paranoia.

Sure enough, one of the office ladies comes waltzing in with a little Russian girl. I have to admit it took a couple minutes to sink in that she was introducing me to a new student. Needless to say, I was not amused once I realized what was going on. Why do I get the new student?!? Give her to Teacher Sam... He has Russians in his class - Fantastic!

Her name is Fisa. She is a beautiful blonde haired blue eyed girl. She speaks a little English or so her mother says. All she speaks to me is Russian. I think she gets frustrated with me because she thinks I should speak Russian. All the Thai teachers speak English to her, which I'm sure confuses the poor child even more. All the Thai teachers look at me like I should be able to communicate with her because she speaks English. Er.

Ironically, Brian has her older sister in his class. She seems very nice and eager to learn. Lucky him.

Fisa, on the other hand, loves to cry. I cannot explain the first day war path of this child. Insane. But somehow I justified it with her being Russian :)

I hardly saw her all day because she was being subdued by Thai teachers. All she wanted to do was run away. I had to corner her at lunch. She was trying to follow her sister back to class. I randomly saw her around school. Fisa crying on the stairs with a Thai teacher. Fisa on the jungle gym crying with a Thai teacher. Fisa falling asleep on the slide with a Thai teacher. And this was just on my lunch break.

It is day 5 in the war with Russia. She still randomly cries, but at least cooperates for the most part. She can write her name incredibly well. I think she is very smart, but understandably is a bit scared and unsure. She loves to smile, but somehow throws a tantrum at a drop of a hat. She needs to hold your hand and be babied. Ugh. Not me. Luckily, she has attached herself to my Thai Teacher. Poor Teacher Mi...

It was like a Russian explosion at our school. After Fisa and her sister came, a couple other Russian students enrolled. I hope they are not migrating down to Pattaya... Unfortunately, they have the stereotype of being the naughtiest children.

I keep hoping she will disappear one day and my class will shrink back in size. But I'm sure this thought is in vain. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment