Monday, June 21, 2010

Muay Thai

Just what a girl wants to do on her day off... watch a bunch of men train to be fighters!!!

Yeah right... the fantasy of watching boys work-out/train is not for this girl...

Through this experience, I found a new phobia - sweat. I did not know human beings could produce that much sweat. Thailand's heat does not help, but then they put on sweatsuits! I'm talking puddles pouring out. Every time they move you run the risk of an unforeseen rain shower or being spit on. I dry-heaved alot. Riding home on the back of the motorbike with Brian was psychologically damaging. Sweat flying backwards at 50 mph - not fun. Ugh...

Anyway, I was more of the unofficial photographer to document Brian's first training experience. 40 mosquito bites later, and I think he has some wonderful pictures. The number of bites I accumulated worried the trainers. This just confirms the fact that I will need way more malaria medicine before I head into the surrounding countries.

Oddly enough, Brian's never been in a fight in his life nor does he have a fighting mentality. He is probably the most passive, gentle boy you will ever meet. However, when in Rome right?!?... plus it doesn't hurt that Sam is trying to become a professional Muay Thai fighter and offered to show Brian the "ropes." Brian developed several bruises on his legs, but apparently it just takes conditioning and it will slowly dissipate. Fun.

I love this picture... "You want me to hit you?" hehe
This new found hobby, however, cost 250 Baht per lesson. Thai people do not pay to get trained. It is the countries national sport. Only foreigners have to pay. I would say there were about 12 foreigners training. Thai fighters do not train with the foreigners either. They keep them separate.

I felt like I was in the Karate Kid... probably because the movie just got released and it's been everywhere on the internet and self adhered itself into my mind. I must say, seeing the velocity of fighters actually kicking and throwing punches is quit nerving. I would hate to be the person on the receiving end of the blows! All I heard for hours was the huge "Bam" sound of flesh hitting bags. The trainers have guts! I'm sure the fighters have clocked them on accident before.... owww.

I keep thinking back to my childhood when I watched the WWF. Everyone would say that it was "fake." Watching it on TV does alot to numb the actual brutality taking place... fake or not.

Alot of Thai children train at this facility. I have never seen so many young boys ripped before. I guess it's their entire life - seeing that the majority of the boys live at the camp too.  They are either orphans or problem children that were 'adopted' by the camp. I can only infer that they train all day long.

I was looking forward to watching my first official Muay Thai match. In addition to sweat I'm sure there will be blood. Apparently, you get paid a bonus if you do special moves. These moves sound like gushers.

I never understood what appeal this sport has to people. My father loves boxing. I'm sure if he were to sit in the gym all day and watch the boys train he would be highly entertained - minus the heat and mosquitoes.

But I want to show my support for Sam and his first fight this year.

Sam resting
Betting is illegal in Thailand, but is one of the major draws of people to watch Muay Thai matches. I told Sam that whenever money was tight, to let us know when he wanted to throw a match so we could bet against him... hehe... it's like having an insider tip to a horse race!

I am looking forward to listening to him explain any injuries to his class... I'm sure it will boil down to a motorbike accident :)

Catching some air...

0 comments:

Post a Comment