Monday, June 28, 2010

Why Me?

The Wai Kru Ceremony is in honor of teachers. It's pretty much like teacher appreciation day, but Buddhist.

As we were standing around in the heat... avoiding herding students into the school at 8:00 a.m., We were made aware that we would be rehearsing. I must state that you are never clued into what is happening at the school. If you are one of those people that hates sudden change, Thailand is not the place for you. After 30 minutes of watching the children practice, I realized this was cutting into my teaching time. Oh, Darn. It was quiet enjoyable sitting in the shade, talking, and watching the minutes slip away. One more hour of this and I would practically be done with my day! Whoo Hoo!

The party soon came to an end. Brian's teaching "assistant," Khun Pat, was making a bee line for us. I figured she needed to talk to Brian, but her eyes were locked on me. Oh no... I quickly focused on the cement. Everyone hears horror stories about Khun Pat. My philosophy on the woman - avoid at all cost! Crap, she was still locked in on me, and didn't even give a hint of wanting Brian. She told me to go sit on stage. Suddenly, I was part of the rehearsal. Teacher Tom was chosen too. It really isn't as fun being part of the process as it is watching. You have to actively participate a.k.a bow a whole bunch of times and accept fake gifts from all 30+ students. 

Having had the ceremony explained to me by Tom, I figured all the teachers would rotate through and get a shot at practicing. Next time, I would be back sitting in the shade and conversing with the other teachers. Wrong! A day later at the next practice, I was called up again... this time Teacher Tom reveled in the fact by announcing my name of the microphone. I don't particularly like having all eyes on me. Why do Tom and I always have to sit up there and practice... Shouldn't the other teachers get their chance to bow and learn the ceremony too? All teachers are in the ceremony... or at least I thought...

For the next practice, I made it a point to conveniently disappear to the schools store to indulge in an ice coffee. From around the snack case, I spied Teacher Tom sitting on stage but my seat was still empty! I slipped out of the store and coyly tried to hide naturally. Atlas, I was found. I tried to ask why the other teachers didn't have to practice; But I was hit by a huge brick wall of language barrier. Grrr...

It wasn't until later that I found out that I was chosen to be the representative for the female teachers. I have no idea why, but this fact would have made a world of clarity (for not only me but all the teachers). I feel bad for grumbling so much. I do feel honored in a way. If I would have known, I definitive wouldn't have been such a grouch :)

So, I guess not all teachers get to be part of the ceremony... or maybe they do... everything changes in Thailand...

All in all, should be interesting. Count down - 4 days.

0 comments:

Post a Comment