Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Always check your receipt!

Brian always calls me a Jew. Not in an anti-semantic way... In a, "Misty you are so cheap," kinda way.

If Brian was raised in Hawaii, he would say Pakae (spelling?), which wouldn't bring up any kind of racial slur debate. Brian isn't the type to offend anyone and neither am I. Growing up in Hawaii, we do not take any racial comments personally. It's part of the culture and aim of most of our local jokes.

Anyway, I mention this fact because I had a moment to rub it in Brian's face. HA!

We were having lunch at a hot pot restaurant. Ordering things ala cart can get a little out of hand. I like to think I'm good at math though, so I automatically add things up in my head as I'm ordering - don't want to get too crazy on our teachers budget.

Anyway, we had a fantastic meal. In Thailand, they never bring you the bill. You have to ask everytime. If you don't do the universal signal to ask for a check, you could sit at your table all day.

The check at this particular resturant was on a little hand-held computer. I saw the total - 477 Baht. I told Brian the total and his exact response, "Not bad!" I, however, asked her to print out the check. During the time it took her to print out the receipt, I got it big time from Brian..."You just can't trust anyone can you?"

I don't blindly trust people in general. I question everyone's intelligence level.

I like to look at the bill and see the things itemized. My father has done it all my life, and I just do it out of habit now that I'm an 'adult.'

As our server brought over the printed receipt, she had a big smile on her face. She had mixed up the bills. Our bill was only suppose to be 350 baht. The bill she showed us was from another table. SCORE MISTY!

Now to anyone not operating on the Baht system, this seems like a minuscule amount. However, a 100 baht difference can feed us for an entire day. It also probably pays the server more than what she would make in one day - horrible I know.

It's not even the point of being cheap, but more of being observant. I keep trying to tell Brian to be more observant and aware of his surroundings. I feel like he does the opposite of what normal people would do haha... and that's why I love him... but sometimes it makes me want to hit the boy! For example, He almost always over tips because he never cares to read that gratuity is already included. A simple glance is all it takes. He never reads signs that are hanging around. Anyone else would just casual read it because it's there. Not Brian. I think its more because he hates to read. He just doesn't put the effort in to do it.

Oh well, one small victory... it was sweet... AND he told me to blog about it haha... so I had to humor him :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment