Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Planning Koh Chang

Fate. A wonderful thing that has lead me on some wonderful adventures.

After our Tiger Zoo fail we knew there was no way we were going to drive 4/5 hours down to Koh Chang. Looking for bus schedules is a bit tricky. Most places tell you to go to Sukhumvit Rd. early in the morning and flag down a bus from Bangkok on its way to Koh Chang. Though this is probably an economic way to travel, being on a strict schedule doesn't really allow this backpackers leisurely approach.

Through my various research from blogs and forums, alot of people suggested going through a travel agency. They are as common in Pattaya as dentist. On Jomtien however, they are all geared toward Russians. The websites quoted around 500-600B one way with a one way ferry pass included.

I told Brian and Emily my findings. They were game. We just had to find a travel agency in the next 3 days and make reservations.

After our yoga experience with the Princess, Brian and I decided to eat. Then we decided not to eat. Then we decided to eat. We kept changing our mind. Brian wanted to cook at home to save money. I wanted to eat out because I never usually have the opportunity because he's always gone during the week. Damn Muay Thai :)

Our bickering lead us to our back ally Mexican restaurant near the dive shop in Jomtien. The food is actually really good. Sam, the owner, is retired and from Texas. He lived in Mexico for some time before moving to Thailand. The restaurant is fairly new, but the prices are very affordable considering most Mexican restaurants here charge an arm and a leg. He does great specials too.

The argument continued at the table. The topic of course was money which I think statistically is the number one cause of fights between couples.

I was trying to help Brian with his savings plan. However, anything that is not phrased correctly when talking to Brian is immediately taken as an attack and the walls go up. In this case he abandoned the wall and just got up and left the restaurant. I'm sure we were very amusing to the other farang gathering of gay European men next to us.

I finished my delicious meal. I couldn't see Brian though. No idea where he went. When I finally paid the bill and left he was heading back to the restaurant. He pointed next door. It was a travel agency!

We went inside and browsed through their tours. They had Koh Chang tours! The travel agent quoted 800B one way with a one way ferry ticket. My heart sank. AHHH... it's not going to happen. She had so many books. I started flipping through them myself and finding the fee's. I came across one that said a round trip by mini-van to Koh Chang with round trip ferry ride cost 1,050B. That worked out to be a little more than 500B each way which is what a good price is considered.

She was a little flabbergasted by my findings. I don't know if she was just trying to make more money or if she honestly didn't know about that option. She is just a travel agent and works with many travel companies. The company that she quoted the 800B from wasn't the same as the book with the 500B quote. Either way, she didn't dispute it and said we could do it. It also doesn't hurt to start throwing around the "ajarn" word so they know they aren't dealing with regular tourists.

I took a card and wrote everything down. We told her we had to talk it over with other people but would back tomorrow to book.

Teacher Emily said she didn't find any tour agency's but was fine with the price quote we found! Brian had to go to Muay Thai, so Emily and I stopped by the agency after school and booked it. You would think we would have brought money with us, but we didn't. We had to run to an ATM. I only mention this because I bank with K-Bank and they are everywhere! I love them. Emily can never find her banks ATM. She can't even withdraw her money from another ATM. My advice: K-Bank. Fast. Easy. Free bottles of water when you go into any branch :)

It definitely was coming down to the wire with finding a way to get to Koh Chang. If we would of never started fighting at the gym or restaurant, we might have never found a Tour Agency and never found a way to go to Koh Chang. I am so happy Brian decided to leave the restaurant because maybe if he hadn't we would of never noticed the travel agency right next door. In his storm of rage, he was forced to wait for me to finish and had no option but to check out the surrounding businesses and READ.

Fate. It's a funny thing.

Even funnier... The Chinese teachers got wind that we were going to Koh Chang. News travels really fast around school. Brian asked for an advance on his pay check in order to go, so maybe that's why. Emily casually invited the Chinese teachers and they got so excited. I must admit it never occurred to me to invite them before. I feel really bad that we didn't even think of it. I am so used to it just being the 3 of us who actually want to do things, that we forget to make an open invitation announcement. Anyway, Emily gave them her number. I really didn't think it would lead anywhere.

Wrong! I called Emily to see how packing was going. She was sitting back at the travel agency. Apparently, the Chinese girls really did want to go and for the past 2 hours had been looking for the travel agency. They do not drive motorbikes so they were on motorbike taxis. Their English isn't very good either. Alot was lost in translation. Poor Emily continued to wait for the girls. They finally showed up, but didn't bring any money. The tour agent wasn't amused :) Ooops. Can't say I blame them... we did the same thing. I think Emily finally made it home around 11 p.m. and finally got to pack. She left the Chinese girls there to sort it out themselves.

Brian and I went to bed thinking they were coming. We could really rent a jeep or car on the island with that many people because the cost would be easier to handle if we all split it. Again, through my research, people suggested cars because of the mountainous terrain on Koh Chang. A detail later understood.

0 comments:

Post a Comment