Wednesday, July 7, 2010

How to send packages from the US to Thailand

Do not send Fed Ex or UPS. Just use regular U.S. mail.

USPS ships internationally. Emily got her new camera in the mail and it cost around $50.00 to ship to Thailand. She did not have to pay any extra customs tax either!!!!

When we got our camera in the mail it came by Fed-Ex. Upon arrival I had to pay 700 Baht in customs tax. Customs agents personally delivered it and had the bill ready for me.

NEVER PUT THE AMOUNT OF MONEY THAT THE ITEM IS WORTH ON THE BOX!!!!!

You need to put USED and make sure it is facing the outside. When I got my camera... It said USED but also had a money value declared too. Declare the value as $0.00. The USED portion was not facing the outside of the package either - only the monetary value was, and that's why I got hit with the huge charge. ERG!

Also check the "GIFT" box on the form. You can keep writing GIFT instead of USED if you want. Try to be non-descriptive when writing what is inside. I would just put toiletries every time :) Who wants to steal shampoo?

It's true when you do this you are putting your trust in the system. God forbid the box get lost because by declaring it worth nothing - you would get nothing from insurance. However, I do not expect to be receiving anything of value in the mail. I already have my camera... so this information is geared more toward care packages :)

Don't forget tracking!!!

Use the schools address to send packages to us. It's safer. It is on the picture below or can be found at the website http://www.phoenixkindergarten.com/

We will just rack this up as another learning experience.

Sample form to use compliments of Emily

0 comments:

Post a Comment