Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Yoga and the Princess

*Tangent*

So if a teacher is ever absent, we have to cover that persons class. It's a pain in the ass because the free periods you do have during the day and look forward to are ripped away from you! You begin to hate the teachers that are absent all the time and question their motives. Not very constructive for a good working environment.

We had to meet with Eric again to go over our contracts and sign a copy for the work permit process. While meeting with him, I voiced my concerns about the absentee process and straight up said we should get paid for covering other peoples classes. Not like we get paid for sick days anyway... so the schools not losing any money... if anything they stand to gain more with teachers being sick but put the burden on the other teachers who care to show up. He agreed with me and said it would happen.

The next day, two teachers were absent. Everyone was in a hissy about covering classes. I made a general announcement saying we were going to get paid for it. Everyone looked stunned including the Thai office worker handing out the slips of paper with the class shifts on it. I thought if Eric tried to back out of his conversation with me now, he would have the entire teaching staff to deal with :) Not like it mattered though, because everyone sort of laughed at me and said it would never happen.

WELL wouldn't you know, Eric kept to his word. We now have a great system for taking over classes and all it took was someone asking nicely and voicing concern. I just can fathom why it took me less than 2 months of that crap to find a solution while some of the teachers have been at the school for almost a year or more. They think its because I'm American that he listened to me... ha... perhaps, I dunno. I just like to think I'm a good communicator and instead of grumbling about things come up with solutions to offer.

Now, I 'm the newly appointed person to negotiate everything that ails the teachers. Joy.

*End Tangent*

To get us through the next solid week of classes and closer to Koh Chang, I needed to find something to look forward too and get me through work! I found a free 7 day pass to a gym that offered Yoga classes. I have been trying to find a Yoga class to join, but there are not a lot of choices in Pattaya... go figure. Anyway, this gym offers the classes, but is pretty expensive. The 7 day pass would give us a chance to go to Yoga and see if we like it. Perfect!

Emily was all for it. We printed out the passes and went after school one day. We took a baht bus into town. It's near central Pattaya.

Luckily, we got there earlier enough to fill out all the B.S. paperwork. They showed us around. It's not like a gym at all... more like a night club with gym equipment. It's called California WOW.... I'm serious. Everything is decked out and glittery. True to Thailand - they make everything look good on the outside. We were able to make it to our class. It wasn't bad. The gym workers were rather pushy with us. It wasn't going to be a leisurely 7 days going to the gym. They wanted us to join immediately and kept negotiating prices with us. Truth be told, they did lower the price considerably, but not enough for us to be like SCORE a deal!

Emily liked the Yoga, but wasn't amused with the gym atmosphere. I like gyms. I think it's because I've always gone to them since I was little. I'm more motivated to workout if I'm in a gym than going for a run by myself on the beach like Brian.

Anyway, I convinced Brian to go to the gym with me again and take a Yoga class. He doesn't care for gyms either, but was a good sport in trying Yoga. As we walked up to the door, I noticed alot of police. In the lobby of the gym more police were lounging around and coming in/out. As the manager came to meet us, he said the Princess was upstairs doing Yoga right now and things were a bit hectic.

I gave Brian the usual tour and had to show him the Yoga room ;) They let us peek in for a brief second before asking us politely not to look in on the Yoga session because the Princess was inside. We waited outside for her class to finish and ours to start. Her ladies in waiting (I'm guessing), were sitting outside waiting too. If we would have gotten there an hour earlier we could have done Yoga with the Princess of Thailand! Boo we missed our opportunity. I wonder if they would have let Brian be in the class. I can't say there's alot of men that go to Yoga classes.

Class finally ended and she emerged. Lets just say Brian can always say he's stood in the Princess' way :)

Our instructor this time was a hard core Indian instructor. We were not doing hot yoga but he still turned off the air...ugh! I think Brian was a bit impressed with yoga. It wasn't as easy as he though and he was dripping with sweat. I kept getting corrected too. I just can't do some of those positions with my body!!!

All in all it was a good experience. Emily and I found a new gym opening right in Jomtien and hopefully they will offer Yoga classes. We shall see.

0 comments:

Post a Comment